Friday, August 1, 2014

Day 5- Gordon's skills acquisition model

My Birthday morning turned out to be one happy morning! I didn't get a cab so my friend drove me to work! Another friend flew in to meet me for my birthday! And friends came over for dinner and we had an amazing time giggling our heads off! Perfect!
 
I did not consciously take the time to learn anything new... however, I actually did get a better understanding of Gordon's skill acquisition model this morning during a conversation with my senior, which would have gone off my conscious memory had I not taken the time to reflect on it at the end of the day. It is slowly dawning on me, that this journaling helps! :)
 
So Gordon's skills acquisition model developed in the 1970's, talks about the Conscious Competence ladder whereby learners/workers go through stage of being unconsciously unskilled, consciously unskilled, consciously skilled and unconsciously skilled. I read more from the two links below about the model
 
As a learner as well as a coach, it is beneficial to understand where the learner is in the journey. I also found it interesting that the role of the coach at the different stages of the ladder needs to be modified. (Would certainly remember this during the induction stages of the new staff!)
 
I think we can apply parts of the model to teaching.
 
Applications of the Conscious-Competence Ladder in inquiry learning

I. Unconscious Incompetence, focus on the benefits of learning the skill. Enthuse learners about the area of learning. Provide a reason for learner to learn. Get them excited! Provoke them to think about the learning area.

ii. Conscious Incompetence, Help learners plan their learning journeys and inquiries. Provide them with skills and resources to learn. Help them understand that it is perfectly ok to not know at this stage.

iii. Conscious Competence, give learners lots of tips, tricks, and techniques to help them achieve some successes. Continue to provide the skills as learners are getting further in their learning journeys. Learners are now getting into the thick of their learning journeys. They have the plan of what to inquire about and the skills to learn about it.

iv. Unconscious Competence, praise the learner and reinforce the learning. Reflect on the learning journey and talk about the skills that have now become a part of the of kit of the learners. Reflect on the inquiries and talk about the knowledge and concepts they have gained as a result.
 
The more I think about it, the ladder model doesn't feel the be all and end all to me. Once the learner is in the Unconscious competent stage, the next step is to provoke him/her into the
next unit of inquiry, the next area of learning!
 
Instead of Gordon's straight ladder I shall turn my own model to the spiral steps model!!!
 
Yup! That works for me.... for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment