Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Day 10 - Purple toe!

So my fractured toe continues to be light purple in spite of not paining. My resident doctor - Micky who created the marvellous toe cast for me out of a plastic hose - is not happy seeing the purple toe! He worries that I might develop an arthritic toe as a result.
 
So my learning for the day....
There are 28 bones and more than 30 joints in the foot. Post traumatic arthiritis occurs when a toe fracture doesn't heal properly. An injured toe is seven times more likely to develop arthritis, even if the toe heals properly! The body can secrete hormones that simulate the death of the cartilage cells.
 
So my purple toe needs the hose cast for some more time I guess! Not sure whether that is the cure but definitely that will be one lesson that will come out of personal experience in a while.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment