Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Day 17 - Rice porridge, google and mum!

As a child I was often subjected to the traditional kumaoni rice porridge called 'Jaula', as I often had tummy aches or the runnies. It was much later, as an adult that I was diagnosed with Gluten allergy. However, as a child anytime I had a stomach ache or a runny tummy, I was given jaula. I hated it with passion, so much so that I never bothered to learn the recipe....
 
.... till today when Micky had a tummy ache. Google came to the rescue as many a times! I made the jaula and it didn't taste bad at all. In fact I quite liked the taste with my modified recipe. Here it is.
 
1 cup rice, washed and soaked in four cups water.
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 pinch asafoetida
1 tbsp. grated ginger
1 tsp ghee
1 pinch turmeric
salt to taste
1/2 cup plain homemade Yoghurt (if not lactose intolerant)
 
Heat 1 tsp ghee. When hot, crackle the cumin seeds, add a pinch of asafoetida, add the rice, the ginger, salt and turmeric. Let it cook till porridge consistency. Then add yoghurt and cook for a while. Serve hot.
 
Was quite proud of my recipe so called up mum and checked my recipe. She suggested boiling the rice first with turmeric, salt and ginger. Then add yoghurt and cook. Finally temper with cumin, asafoetida in ghee. The ghee taste becomes more prominent this way, so lesser amount is needed. Easy on the stomach, filling and yum!
 
So what did I learn? The recipe of course, but then also consolidated the idea of authenticating or verifying information from a Primary source, an expert. Google helps but a primary source of info is always better.
 
And when it is mum.... better still. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment