Saturday, August 23, 2014

Day 27 - Selfies and selflessness - Mariners' night 2014

A lazy Saturday after the first school week!

Micky and I went to an annual event for mariners. It is an amazing event, which I have always admired in retrospect! Truthfully, when I am there, I fail to appreciate it as much as I do after the event is done and dusted. 

It has to do something with the intense assault on senses - the taste of spicy Indian food - from kebabs to cold cuts that strain to glimpse at their consumer from the deluge of daal makhni and curries piled on copious amounts of rice, with a naan soaking yoghurt somewhere on the plate; the sight of  glitzy Indian women dressed in their fineries; the smells of perfumes mixed with alcoholic pheromones; the sounds of people shouting out conversations over the peppy Indian beats provided by the enthusiastic group of folks who dance, sing and take on the roles of the DJ; and the happy hugs of friends and acquaintances that grow in intensity and frequency with the free-flow of spirits! I don't enjoy huge crowds in general and this event grows bigger each year. The yearly increase in membership for this event and association is evident from the change of venue to a bigger hall and the ads of bigger sponsors.

I come here to support hubby's networking as well as to meet my friends and love the idea of dancing to the music at the end of the event. However, any meaningful conversations drown in loud music and the conversation threads break often as networking happens. Hubby and I stand talking with a group of his ex-colleagues when he suddenly catches a glimpse of his batchmate from uni days ten people away and rushes to find him in a crowd of about 2000 people! Good luck, sensible shoes and an incredible amount of physical and social dexterity is needed to navigate in this crowd to find what you are looking for. (I am sure there is also an incentive to lose your spouse conveniently for a while on this pretext!)

I am glad that I have friends to hang around with, in this event. A friend and I stand together for a chat. Since we can't have much of a conversation with  the loud music, I decide to whip out my phone camera and take pictures and selfies. Soon we have more people around us and a group comes together to be a part of the pictures. We catch hold of the nearest cooperative fella to take pics. He conveniently takes a selfie while we are all posing with our smiles. He returns the camera with a cheeky grin! We all groan and ask him to take another pic. The place suddenly appears friendlier and we all introduce ourselves to each other. Phone numbers and pleasantries are exchanged, connections are made, and loads of food and drinks are consumed.  

I have often read about how the Smart phones have impacted the social skills and graces of the younger generation. However, today I realise the possibilities of the Smartphones and Selfies in creating social bonds. It is an instrument of cohesion. An instrument that helps people connect. I like it and that is my learning for the day.

Micky is in the editorial team of the club's magazine (I do have a sense of familiarity with some of the write-ups! :) )and often raves about the phenomenal energy of the club's committee members who invest their heart and souls in running this club on a voluntary basis. I meet these guys every year and each time I marvel at the absolutely passionate and almost philanthropic zeal with which they work for this event. What energises them? Why do they do this? What drives them? Why are these guys so selfless with their time and dedication? The more I think about it, the more it confuses me and the more it impresses me. 

Remembering my favourite researcher Hofstede again....establishing rituals, symbols and heroes help support the core of the values and impact the practices, the culture of a community. The annual event is a beautiful ritual that brings people together, economically, socially and emotionally. The club magazine pages that laud partners' and children's achievements send a loud and clear message of the importance of families in the lives of the community. The core committee members that proudly and enthusiastically go up on stage are the heroes, the people who are committed, dedicated, passionate and zealous about the club. The quiet ones who support from the wings to organise the free flow of food, drinks, fun and edit the event's thick glossy magazine are the unsung heroes (and heroines) who add layers to the culture. The volume of the event and the enthusiasm of the group to open the doors for even more members gives a lovely sense of an inclusive culture. From an all Indian expat crowd in the first event to a crowd with local and expats from other countries in this event, the diversity is expanding. It bodes well for social as well as economic interests. 

We stayed on past midnight and came home tired. As I kicked off my heels I thought of the club members who would be busy wrapping up the event, now and in the days to come; again on a pure voluntary basis. It was humbling. I am glad I went, glad that Micky invested his time and support to this team and I am glad to have met new people. I look forward to the event next year! May the energies, the commitment and the enthusiasm live on! 










No comments:

Post a Comment