Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Day 36 - Sustainable Ganesh Chaturthi

I have always enjoyed Ganesh Chaturthi, particularly the singing and the food! I have not had many occasions to go to houses that set up the Ganesh idols for the festivities but whatever few I have had, have been wonderful.

Having said that, I get very concerned when the festival cycle comes to an end and devotees happily immerse the colourful idols of Ganesh in lakes or rivers. I feel very concerned at the environmentally un-friendly way of bidding goodbye to the god and immersing plaster of paris idols with the accompanying fabric/plastic/metal etc in our  water bodies. 

I decided to research on the impact of the festival in our water bodies. The only data I could get  was some references to a study done by the Central Pollution Control Board. I haven't been able to corroborate it and do not know the validity of this source. (http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-ganesh-visarjan-how-it-impacts-our-environment-1887519), however this seems to be the only one readily available on a google search. Anyway... 

A related study on lakes by CPCB in 2010 found that:
The acid content in the waters increased
The TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) increased by a 100%
The Dissolved Oxygen content increased during the day due to the agitation of waters during immersion and reduced at night when organic discharge increased
The heavy metal content sampling showed a ten fold increase in metals such as iron, while copper content in the sediments increased by 200 to 300%. 

The point is that immersing an idol made of non-biodegradable material, with paints which may have harmful chemicals, does not make the human society better, which in my opinion is the intention or the rationale of all religions and religious festivities. 

I celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi but do not set up an idol separately for the occasion. If I would I would definitely make it with flour or clay, the old-fashioned way, which is certainly more sustainable. (We need to stick to the old traditions our previous generations had... they were in harmony with the environment.) 

I received this interesting new take on Ganesh Chaturthi from a friend on whatsapp which has been my learning for the day.

So this idol has been made using 28 kilos of chocolate. The person who made this kept it for the celebrations and then in the end, immersed it in milk (instead of the water bodies) and distributed the milk in the local orphanage. How sweeeet is that? :)

I love the creativity and comparative sustainability of this project. More power to such creative genes and may the celebrations continue! Happy happy everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment